Thursday, January 25, 2007

Bailey

Hey all,
18 years ago today the world forever brightened for me. She caused some trouble getting here so I thought she might turn out a little stubborn. I had no way of knowing how much favor God was showing me that day. It hadn't been very long since I had been a kid and I remember wondering about her future.

I had some modest dreams that day.

They told me that all fathers think their daughters are pretty. I was hoping for moderately cute. God gave me stunning, catch-my-breath beauty.

I didn't hope for genius, but I asked for some intelligence. God gave me a brilliant, clever, sharp, witty girl with deep understanding.

Given her genes I knew better than to expect athletic stardom, but I did hope for her to share that part of my life. God gave me a hard-working competitor that has made me so proud in so many arenas.

I had only one exceptional wish. I asked for her heart to be great. I wanted her to be kind and good. I wanted her to stand out in a crowd as a lover of people and a follower of Jesus. I was dreaming for someing way beyond average. God so far exceeded my expectations. I cannot describe what happens in my heart when I think of the lives she touches and the leadership she provides everywhere I turn.

I love to watch her with her brothers and with little kids and with people who really need love. I love to watch TV with her and talk about nothing. I love the way she gets a joke and can give it back with clever grace. I love when she does cheers in the living room becasue she thinks nobody is watching. I love it when she laughs. I love it even more when I can make her laugh and light up the room with her smile.

Already the prospect of not having her around has started to dim the brightness of my world. But I am happy for the world that gets a girl like her. Greater men than I will never know the privilege of being a father to someone so terrific. Whatever else I do or don't do with my life, no one can take from me this: I am Bailey Brown's Daddy.

I love you Bailey!

Love,
Dad

1 comment:

Stephen Bailey said...

Beautiful tribute to a beautiful young woman!