Saturday, July 12, 2008

The First Leg of Our Journey

 
Posted by Picasa

Greg Smith, John Bailey, Gary Daniels and Danny Carrigan made a hurried trip to the far east. These photos were taken in NRT after a long flight from DFW. I wanted you to see how fresh and awake we were at this stage of our trip. After 9 days with only 5 nights sleep, having visited 4 countries, 5 islands, spending 50 hours in the air and traveling over 25,000 miles, we didn't look so good. Sen. Phil Graham said we are a nation of whiners, but not these guys. There was never a discouraging word even in the midst of a typhoon, 4 overnight flights and a few hours of suffering an uneasy feeling in the abdominal region. Notice I changed from the first person to the third person. The reason is I stayed in the Philippines 3 more days to attend to some business. I wanted to stay a few days longer, but I could not get my ticket changed. However, when we approached the counter there was a sign saying the flight was over booked and they were offering volunteers a nice package to stay. I jumped on their offer and got to stay in the finest hotel I have ever stayed in. The food was great, but this luxury only lasted for 24 hours. However, the package I received also gave me $200.00 so I had the funds to pay for the other two nights in a lesser hotel, but none the less, adequate.

You might wonder what the rush was, so I will explain. Greg, Gary and Danny are all working for a living. Greg and Gary offered to make this trip to photograph some of the things BandS is doing in Indonesia and the Philippines. They took over 1300 pictures and several hours of video. I have seen some of their work and they captured the story on film. These are the same photographers who documented our trip to China last year. Danny has been interested in BandS for some time so I thought this would be a good trip for him to get a close up look at what we do in some of the places we work. I could not have had better traveling companions.

I'm ready to go to China in 5 more days. I had cataract surgery a couple of days ago, so I will be traveling with my dark glasses on. I hope I will not be singled out for extra security checks. I don't think I will be because I have read that there is no profiling and I certainly believe what I read. I will not be doing any surgery on this trip because I am not certified to do any procedures in Braille.

1 comment:

Danny Carrigan said...

What a great trip! It was such a blessing to meet so many talented and focused servants of the Lord in such a short amount of time. Thanks for letting me tag along and carry the camera equipment. I'm praying that I'll be able to take more trips like this in the future. Who knows, maybe I'll even develop the intestinal fortitude of Dr. John some day.