Saturday, July 11, 2009

Aunt Mabel Johnson Bailey


One of the loves of my life left me last week. I called her Aunt Mabel and I have nothing but fond memories of this gracious lady. I didn't lose her, in the way I lose my keys, because I know exactly where she is.

I could write volumes about her. She was one of the prettiest ladies I have ever known. At 94 her complexion was that of a new bride. Her outward beauty was enhanced because it housed what was truly a remarkably wonderful lady. I would put her picture next to the description of the "fruit of the spirit." Think about the love that is manifested by the joy, peace, long suffering etc., and you have a description of the heart of my Aunt Mabel.

A heart like that could be easily broken, and hers was on more than one occasion. Not a complainer, but her heart often spoke out to those she trusted and loved. I consider those conversations during the last few visits with her, as sacred. To talk with her and to recall with her what was really important, was a catharses for my soul.

I really did want to attend her funeral with her family. I put out maximum effort, but schedules just would not come together in a way that would allow for travel. If I need to be forgiven for this, I think I would want my Aunt Mabel to be in charge of absolving my sin. I know she would readily do this.

Heaven is more important than ever now that the one I affectionately referred to as "the grouchy old hired girl" is there. Only my family will know the absurdity of this little boy referring to her that way. It was like calling Goliath "Shorty". I loved to tease her because she was one of the few people who could still blush.

So, set the table Aunt Mabel, and call the 2 Myrtles you love to come to tea. Call John Connor Brown to join you. I really want him to know you as I do.

I love you.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Such a sweet post. Sounds like she was jewell. I am sorry for your loss as she seemed really special. She is going to love Connor Man.

Roger P Mulligan said...

Amen brother! The funeral was taken by her grandson Drew and he did a very good job. both he and Vernon gave beautiful tributes to her, not unlike yours. we'll miss her for sure.

while I'm talking to you, we were fortunate enough to see Charlie Haden in concert in Toronto with a pianist - similar to the Steal Away CD. small intimate theatre (http://glenngouldstudio.cbc.ca/)it was great! we thought of how Rosalyn would'be liked it.

take care and God bless, Roger and Rilla.

John Bailey said...

Thanks for the post, Melissa. I am glad to see someone read the infrequent post I make.

John Bailey said...

Hey Roger and Rilla. Good to hear from you. Nice to know that my dear aunt was remembered and honored in a fine way. Most Bailey men marry far above their class.

We are a little bit jealous that you got to see Charlie in person. We have down loaded that CD to our ipods, and listened to it on a long flight from Kenya.

LeeAnn said...

I just have to comment...first of all I loved the post on Aunt Mabel. It really was beautiful Dad. Second...I never thought I would hear my Dad say "we have downloaded that CD to our ipods." LOVE IT!