Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Major Surgery in Malindi, Kenya


1. Large tumor of the mandible. 2. Dr. Brian Camazine, a general surgeon, did the surgery. 3. Some old man assisted him. 4. We did a hemi- section of the mandible. 5. Putting him back together. 6. Dr. Camazine with the patient one day post op.

Just in case you think surgical/medical missions are for fun and vacation, I included this surgery as an example of hard work. This is just one of 154 surgeries we did in Malindi, Kenya over a 5 day period.

It was the best medical mission I have been on. The team worked together perfectly. The preparation from here proved to be more than adequate. The work done by our team in Malindi, was over the top. Want to go with us next year? We have two weeks to choose from. You can volunteer for one or two weeks.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

LeeAnn said...

I am so glad your trip went well. I have already heard a great report from Danny and Kade. I must mention though that your post reminded me a bit of when I brought Grandpa to Shady Oaks Elementary to give a talk on India and he totally grossed everyone out with pictures of people with leprosy! Oh memories!!

Melissa said...

Dr. John, I always...well I always find the pictures interesting. I can't imagine having a gift like you do. A gift that touches peoples lives and changes them for good. What a blessing that is in your hands and in your heart. You are a gift and I am inspired by you. Love you and keep putting the gross pictures up because I do like seeing them. Love you. Melissa

John Bailey said...

Melissa, I needed to have at least one possitive response to my surgery pictures. Some in my family think that I over do it. Your possitive response will encourage me.
By the way, we got the pathology report on the madible and it was an ameloblastoma. Hopefully, this young man will be able to have some radiations tx.