Saturday, April 08, 2006

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAY

I'm sorry that I do not have a picture of you on file that does you justice. I must update my files so this mistake will not be made again.

The Sunday morning you were born, I was preaching at the Woodlawn Church in Abilene. I was the associate minister filling in that morning for Dr. Paul Southern who was the head of the Bible Department at ACC.

I stayed at the hospital until it was time for the early worship. I went back to the hospital during the Bible Class hour and then preached again at the second service. You were born sometime during that hour. When the little old ladies found out that I was not at the hospital when you were born, they were highly critical of me. However, in those days fathers were not allowed to even touch the babies until it was time to send mom and babe home from the hospital.

I remember thinking that I was totally unprepared to be a father and to raise a son. I asked God for some favours and depended on your mother for much of what went into your training, and both sources were dependable. I like what we have in our eldest son.

I must admit that some of the happiest moments of my life are living vicariously through my children and grand children. Your professional career plus your role as pulpit minister mimics what I did for many years. I must admit that your ministry is an improvement over mine. That is to be expected. I taught you all I know and spent a fortune on your education so we should expect a better product. You do not disappoint me.

Have a happy birthday, and thank you for your life and the choices you have made. You make me very happy.

Dad

2 comments:

Stephen Bailey said...

Putting you in the middle of the table at restaurants to show you off was no big deal when you were a baby. It only became rediculous when you were about eight and had a cute little 5 year old sister and I was the baby and he still sat you in the middle of the table to show off.

LeeAnn said...

I remember the middle of the table thing...I'm sure that is why I had to act out...needed the atttention. Happy Birthday J. You are a wonderful big brother, a great example as a husband and father and a silly uncle. I have always been proud to be your little sister and I still am!